Monday, February 6, 2017

"Toen er meer Americanen hier waren gekomen, dacht ik, "Ik heb meer comrades!" maar zij zeide nee, je ben American, geen comrades maar medewerkers. Jammer." -American Lady who worked at the Gooo Dive store

Hello everyone!

This has been an interesting week for sure! We've done a good amount of contacting but it's been cool because people have been home! Even if they aren't interested, we try to give them a picture of Jesus Christ after his resurrection with our names and name on the back. It's been kind of hard sometimes working in the area since it's easy to get down but then I just crack a joke, drink a Root Beer or something and then we get to it!

Although it's hard, it just makes the special moments all the better! For example, Elder Lewis and I headed to the De Palm's house for our lesson, and on our way out, I put my English scriptures in my bag and kept a Dutch Book of Mormon in there with the hope that I'd find a way to use it that night. As we were eating, the De Palm's neighbor, a Dutchman named Martin, came outside with his crutches. I saw him and asked him if he wanted a cookie, and he consented! He sat down and talked with us all and it was fun getting to know him, he told us how he got hit on his bike and broke his hip in 4 places! He was originally waiting on a ride but the ride canceled and he accepted the invitation to stay and hear more. We talked about the Atonement using Alma 7 and testified of the power of it. He wants to sit with us again but because of his busy schedule with treatment it's hard to make appointments but he has a lot of questions that he wants answered!

On Wednesday,Shelley took us and Sister Albus to lunch! I ordered what I thought was a sandwich but it was pretty much a bread stick with bacon on it! Still really good though. We wanted to share a lesson with her but we realized that in a busy restaurant, it wasn't very possible. As Shelley went to pay the check, we talked about it with Sister Albus and she offered to let us teach Shelley at her house when she's free!

Church has been fun, because there's a lot of languages there, we can either sing in Dutch, Spanish or English. I typically sing in Spanish though because it sounds better being in tune with everyone! It's also really fun, one of my favorites is Himno de batalla de la República or Battle Hymn of the Republic. I probably sound like a Gringo when I sing it but I'm getting better at pronouncing things!

We also got transfer calls this week, at first Elder Lewis and I were staying together in Bonaire but then we got a call this morning that he's actually heading back to Suriname, to Uitkijk! I'll be staying here with Elder Burr, luckily he's served here before so he knows the area pretty well.

Having a gezellig week!

Lobi,
Elder Hardy

Title Translation:
"As more Americanen came here, I thought," I have more comrades! "But she said no, you're American, not comrades but staff. Shame." -American Lady who worked at the store Gooo Dive

Attached: Sunset of Bonaire, Elder Lewis and I (I'm on the right btw) and a funny quote from Elder Gertsch (one of the senior couples in Trinidad)









No comments:

Post a Comment