Monday, September 5, 2016

"Een Fiets versus een Bromfiets = een lastige situatie" = " A Bike versus a Moped = an awkward situation "

Fawaka everyone, it's time for yet another update from good ole' Uitkijk! This week was very interesting! (So it'll skip to the best parts) On Thursday night Elder Lunceford flew in from Trinidad, I'm going to be his new trainer or as we like to call it in the mission field, his "Father".

It's been interesting working with someone straight from America, I didn't realize how much I actually knew of Dutch until I had to start translating it for someone. Elder Lunceford is really cool though; he actually can understand Dutch and speak it more than I would've expected! He teaches very well, we've been having some wonderful lessons recently.

Something funny; on Elder Lunceford's first day here in Suriname, we were biking around when all of a sudden Elder Lunceford gets hit by a guy on a scooter (bromfiets) and it wrecks his front tire. Miraculously enough, he was unharmed, he didn't even get knocked off his bike! The guy drove away and all of a sudden basically everyone in the neighborhood gathered around us and were telling us what we should do, it went something like, "Go to the police!" "I know where he lives, break his bike!" "If you don't want it, can I have your bike?" and things like these. We called some people and we headed back to the apartment, luckily it wasn't too far so we were able to switch to a spare bike and we went on our merry way.

This week I also had this weird guy telling me about vampires, evil spirits and voo-doo...

A really cool part though was we were sitting with this one guy who was a less-active; he was baptized when he was younger but fell away a couple years later. So last night we were able to sit with him and we read the introduction out of the Book of Mormon with him. It was very cool! Mostly because he wasn't the most intelligent but as he read and as we talked, I could see the wheels turning and even though he had to read a few times, the greatest part after was when he said, "I understand it now, Elder."

It reminded me of a verse in Alma chapter 32, verse 28,

 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

He promised to read everyday and pray about it, I'm excited to sit with him again!

One last story I forgot to mention; we were contacting one day and Elder Lunceford was in front, we were biking when this guy- in what seemed like a small party with his family- called us over. So we turned around and he basically sat us down in the midst of about 9 people. We started talking with him and laughing with him and at one point he asked me,"You're American? I've been looking for some medicine to restore my grandma, do you have anything like that?" Doing my best to keep my poker face, I said, "I don't have medicine but I do have something like that" and then I pulled out a pamplet that talks about The Restoration and I gave it to him. He started dying with laughter. "Ahaha! You got me, that was a good one!" Everyone else agreed. We had a good time talking with them, we had some fun talking with them and they were impressed that we could actually communicate. They also kept telling us how we need to find wives in Suriname so we could become neighbors! We got the guy's info and told him we would come back sometime, he actually seemed excited and loved the pamphlet! #PartyHindus  

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful day!

Lobi,
Elder Hardy

Attached are pictures of Elder Lunceford and I, his bike and my tan line versus his sunburn


Here is a little excerpt from my letter from my dear boy: 

Wan fu jahri ti dai, wan fu jahri ti dai, wan fu jahri wan fu jahri wan fu jahri ti di! (sing to the tune of Happy Birthday) This is how we sing it in Sranan Tongo!

I miss you a ton! It's crazy to think that I have 9 months left, being with a brand new missionary puts things into perspective! haha I miss you tons and I hope you are doing well!

Lobi!
Elder Hardy 

No comments:

Post a Comment